I think what
draws people to write poetry rather than novels, is the emotional appeal. In
poetry, the main chunk of analysis falls under diction and syntax. It seems
that in poetry each word is chosen for a specific reason, so that it can spark
a certain emotion or bring upon an easier understanding to the overall message.
Poetry tends to be able to translate the words chosen into a specific emotion
or a mix of them more effectively than a novel can. For a novel it is required
to come up with a plot, characters, setting, POV etc. However, poetry lets you
write straight from the heart and in that sense can be easier from some people to
write than others. For some people poetry can be a resolution to inner
struggle. Being able to understand their struggles can help them come to a resolution
or at least acknowledge it and move forward. Emily Dickinson, unfortunately,
was surrounded by death all throughout her life. Dealing with so many deaths
must have been hard and so poetry may have been her way to come to terms with it
as so many of her poems speak about death. You may be able to give the same
message in a novel, but a poem is carefully structured and crested to give the
message but can come off a lot stronger than a novel. This doesn’t have to the
reason all poets prefer poetry; some might do it just because they prefer it.
I agree with everything that you said, although, I still have trouble believing the amount of for thought that a poet seems to put in their poems. As you said there are poets who wright poetry just for fun, but even in those you seem to be able to find hidden messages. I wonder if this is because poetry is just so expressive that people accidentally put in hidden meanings.
ReplyDeleteI'd never thought of poetry in comparison to novels but I realize you're right. Poetry doesn't have the strict guidelines that some novels require and so that makes it easier to write. I also agree with your observations on Emily Dickinson. Writing really can be a way to express your emotions whether it be grief, jealousy, anger, pain, love, or happiness.
ReplyDelete