For someone like me
with very little video creating experience, doing this project was an
interesting experience. The first step in the process of creating my video was
developing my question and getting a rough sketch of the things I would have to
look for in order to answer my question. After researching some
background into my subject, Muhammad Ali and the Draft, I created my question.
Next I proceeded to create a list of things that I need to research to answer
my question. After realizing that was focusing way too much on his religious
reason for evading the draft, I searched the more on his strive for civil
rights. This led me to rewrite my research question. Once I collected my data,
I was really confused because my research was all over the place; so my second
step was creating a document and placing everything in chronologically and by
drawing connection from my data come up with a conclusion for each part of the
question as well as having a sufficient amount of background information in
order to help the viewer’s put the event into perspective. The third step was
filming the video, after a lot of stress and frustration I finished filming. I
am going to honest and just say that I suck at filming; and doing a whiteboard
which I have only seen done by professional camera people and never having done
one myself it was challenging. It took me about a total of 5 hours to film my
video because of my lack of experience. Then the final step was putting it all
together. I had to familiarize myself with a new movie editor I had to download
because I didn’t have iMovie, which at this point was the only editor I had
used. The editing was pretty self-explanatory, and creating the detailed
document linking all my data together really helped. The last challenge I faced
was matching my voice overs with the videos because I did them at separate
times. It did work out in the end, and I happy with the end product.
I too had trouble with the video project for American Studies because of my lack of experience with video editing and me still figuring out the kinks in my research and historical analysis skills. It is for these reasons that this project was so beneficial for us because it required us to step out of comfort zone of the regular project formats and get our feet wet in creating a video media project. The most frustrating part of this project was the video editing, took me so long to figure how to put all the footage together into a video presentation.
ReplyDeleteThe process of making my video was difficult too so I can relate. But I felt like this entire video editing was a new experience to me and I kind of enjoyed it! The research itself was quite easy, but like you said if was just difficult filming the entire thing. Overall, I would agree that the American Studies Project was an interesting experience.
ReplyDeleteLike Annaliese and Aisha said, this project was a challenge. but I feel like it was a step in the right direction for me, being a lot easier than my PSA video last year. I agree that having things organized was incredibly helpful, because I could see everything easily and draw my conclusions from there. I also found outlining quite helpful in the scripting process. I'm glad that you're happy with how it turned out.
ReplyDeleteI definately agree with all four of you. The video was really challenging and it took allof my wits to complete it. However I think I can chalk that up to the other projects that were piled on my head at that time as well. But I also think it was good that I experienced that stress as well. I think that it taught me how to organize my time well and work with video making equipment. I aslo believe that it was much better than my last year's Spanish Culture recipe video.
ReplyDeleteI found that this blog entry was particularly interesting. This is mainly because the process that you used was similar to mine in some ways. In class, I had seen this video and I thought that it was very well done despite your self-diagnosed "bad video editing skills." This was quite an interesting read.
ReplyDeleteThank you. :)
Delete